Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Goofy Challenge

The Disney World marathon and half was a great race. I take it nice and easy for the half because I was running the marathon the next day. I ran the first 11 miles at an 8 min mile pace. The last 2 I picked it up for fun. Mile 12 was 7:39 and mile 13 7:07. One of my faverite parts of the half was running throught Tommorrow Land in the Magic Kingdom. It was about mile 4 or 5 and it was still dark. They had all the lights on in Tommorrow Land. The weather was great also, some where in the 70's. After finishing the half I met my wife Laurie at about mile 12 and ran her in for fun.

My goal for the marathon was to run under 4 hours and I knew that would be easy to do. But then my wife wanted me to run with her for the first 3 miles because she couldn't find her new friend she met yesterday during the half marathon from London. Guess who she ran in to at mile 5? That's right her new friend. I left my wife at about mile 3 1/2. I ran the first 3 mile at a 15 min pace (which means I have 18 mins to make up in the next 23 miles to make a sub 4) and picked it up to a 8 min pace. For the rest of the race I was passing runners by the 100's and by the end I think I passed about 10,000 runners. At first I felt I was running the wrong race and I know everyone was thinking that I showed up late to the race because I slept in. There was no sleeping in for this race. Ther race started at 6:00am. That ment getting up at 3:00 am. I ran at an 8 min pace till about mile 17. I felt great so I picked it up to a 7:30 pace. In the end I got my sub 4 hour but it took some work.

I ran back about a half mile of the marathon and run Laurie in. I have run at least the last mile of all her marathons with her. Some times she has need the extra boost by having me run with her. But most of the time she is doing fine. Even though it was my slowest half and my slowest marathon by one min it was a lot of fun running a half and marathon back to back.

Half Marathon 1:45
Marathon 3:53

No comments: