Monday, January 21, 2008

Micky Marathon Madness

Okay this is delayed but I am finally going to tell y'all about my wonderful experience in Florida. First off, I was scared to DEATH over doing this, thinking the goody challenge was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever decided to do. (I have since vowed never to let a medal motivate me to do something crazy). I had three reason to be scared,
1. training was hit and miss
2. 5 weeks post gallbladder surgery
3. 3 full days wandering around disneyworld could be enough to sap all my energy before I even start.

So the half comes around and I am so excited, especially when I saw the food at the starting line. Oh wait this is Disney, you had to pay for it. Bummer. The first few miles were really tough and I was afried I might not even be able to keep the 16min/mile pace requirement. But after about mile 3/4 I finally started to relax and feel good. Running through the magic kingdom was amazing and I was surprised by all the characters I saw along the race. Which inspired me to buy a disposable camera to carry for the marathon. Around mile 6 I started running with a girl who had started out too fast and was having troubles but she was able to stick we me great and we had a blast. It was"brilliant" She is from london and we had so much fun. OH yeah, I wore my tigger ears through the whole race:) We finished with time to spare a 14.30 average and vowed to find each other the next morning.

Well marathon morning came and I couldn't find her I was so dissappointed and nervous that I made Chris promise to run with me until I loosened up again. One more time I had a rough start and thought I wasn't going to make it. but yet again around mile three and my first potty stop, (In a REAL bathroom in Norway) I decided I was going to make and sent Chris on his way-who later finished under 4 hours......................... But luckily around mile 4.5 Sally, my new friend, recognized my tigger ears and came to run with me again. YIPPEE. We had a "brilliant" run and laughed and joked and posed for pictures with
mickey
minnie
donald
daisy
goofy
pluto
chip n dale
mater
alice
wicked step sisters and mom
baloo
rafiki
king louie
ariel/prince eric
snow white
pochontas/john smith
wendy/peter pan
a turtle
a goat
and a hawk and probably some I missed.

It was really warm and there and i love it. (Day two I had brought money and carried it with me) and around mile 23 I felt a popsicle was in order so in Disney Hollywood studios I found a push cart vendor and took a detour and bought a strawberry popsicle. It was wonderful, a few thought I was crazy but for the most part most were jealous, that is until we were running through mexico and they peeled off to buy margaritas and beers 1 mile before the finish line. My last mile was 2:30 faster than my average and I felt great until I crossed the finish line and something happened and I could hardly walk anymore, but who cares! I AM GOOFY.

I would have beat my park city marathon time had I not paused for the photos but it was only a few minutes slower. What I truly loved about this race is I have never been in a race where I wasn't so spread out and far behind that I have basically run it by myself, but here I was surrounded the whole time. I have never had so many spectators and cheerleaders yelling my name (which was printed on my bib). And the best part of all, this made me feel like a million bucks, When we got back to the hotel and walked into the lobby, EVERYBODY broke into applause for us. I will never forget this race. I was a champion and I loved it!

Laurie Pope
official goofy runner!
PS, I'm definitly cutting back on the marathons this year, I think Portland will be the only other one I am going to run.

No comments: